Tuesday, August 9, 2011

So I just reread pretty much everything on here

There's parts of the things that I wrote that I liked quite a bit. Then there's parts that made me cringe. But let's just talk about the first of those because I'd prefer the latter to remain my own dirty filthy little secrets, yes?

On the whole, most of what I wrote is either serious, serious with whimsical overtones, or silly dreck. Oh the silly dreck is certainly silly, and there's amusement to be had there, but it's also certainly dreck, and some of the worst writing on the site. That said, most everything has at least one part I really liked.

In case you hadn't guessed yet, I'm about to be a massive tool and critique myself. So if that offends your sensibilities you should probably just click the links and not look at anything else below this point. Except for the comments box; feel free to leave hateful statements there.

First off, read these three:
Awaken
Demons
I never actually gave this one a title (that's not the title. I mean I never came up with a title for it. Never a good one)

CONTENT WARNING: That third story will fuck up your day.
Seriously. It's obnoxiously long, and it's messed up. If I'm ever accused of murder, they're gonna dig this story up and it'll convince the jury I'm a psychopath I guarantee it.
If that made you want to read it more, then awesome I've done my job.

This site was originally the creative writing journal I used for the Creative Writing (Fiction) class I was taking. Then I didn't touch it for a year. Although I've had Urges to. Anyway,
Those three were the three major works we were to turn in for credit for the year. As a result, I put a good deal more thought and effort into them, and dammit it shows. I'm not sure which of them I like best. On the whole, they each work, although in different, somewhat surprising directions (I forgot that Awaken ended the way it did, for example). There are parts in each that didn't work, or didn't work as well as I wanted them to, or feel forced to me. But we'll talk about them later. Actually, we'll talk about the good bits later, too, when I can focus just on those three.
But yeah, if you read nothing else I write, read those. And if you only want to read one of 'em, don't pick the third one. It's really long, and it's really disturbing. I want it to be read, don't get me wrong, but it's not the best thing to convince you I'm a good writer, or that I'd write good things. I do think it's well-constructed, which is pretty ironic considering it's a story about insanity.

ON TO THE OTHER STORIES:

Of all the words of mice and men... was painful for all the right (wrong, depending on your perspective) reasons. I imagine this one will resonate with other people fairly well, but then again I have no idea.

Alone was similarly truthy. Everything I write is, for the most part, grounded in some kind of reality. Some stories are stolen more whole-hog from reality than others. Like the one about the giraffe-thing, that one was totally true. Even down to it telling me to go to sleep, jackass. Even though I was in class when I saw it.



Playing was really whimsical, and mostly worked, but somewhat pointless. The title referred to what I was doing with it, which is to say, playing with words. It was fun to read. I can see myself wanting to perform it as slam poetry of a rather dadaistic style.

I still think this is a funny sentence. I have no idea how to write a story around it, or even what I'd find there. Trivia: the 'title' of that entry literally-ish translates to "there is no meaning". I don't remember what exactly I meant for that to mean at the time but I guess it doesn't really matter does it.
 From the Six Word Stories (don't know why I'm linking it exactly), I found "Man dies alone; son spends inheritance" to be more poignant than I remember. It's probably the only one that actually counts as much of a story beyond the six words. I.e., from the one with the dead homeless man who'd been passed by, we know that the society he lived in is one that's apathetic to the suffering of others, but one character and a setting is fairly uninteresting.
The one with the man and the son, that has two characters, but more importantly characterizes their relationship. That the man died alone shows he had no family nearby at the time of his death, but if this were simply the case of getting into a car accident while driving home from work, or a heart attack at home while the family was out to lunch, it wouldn't be referred to as "dying alone". Dying alone tells us that he died of a predictable condition, and his family was either entirely dead, or estranged, or simply apathetic.
And that's all the first half of the sentence. From the second half, we hear of his son. That this man had a son implies that he had (but probably not has, or she would have come running when she found out he was dying) a wife, or at least a lover. That the son received an inheritance means that he at least knew that his son existed, and that he cared enough to list him in his will.
Now, reconcile the love or at least attention that a father has for his son with the son being away from the father during his final hour. Taking into account everything we know, either the wife died and the son was indifferent to his family obligations, or the man had alienated everyone he loved. That the son spent the inheritence - most likely within a year, or it wouldn't have been said in that tone - makes it seem likely that he is no older than twenty-five; an older son would be more likely to invest or save the inheritance money, but he spent it, and most likely on himself for whimsical purposes (the structure of the short story is based around the ironic, making this apathy toward his father's death more likely). This puts the father at no older than his sixties; certainly young to be on one's deathbed for a terminal illness. From that, we can deduce that his wife most likely isn't dead, because she should be around the same age, which means they divorced. And that he's dying early implies some sort of malady brought about by improper care. Alcoholism or smoking can have a ruinous impact on one's health, but the former puts more strain on one's social ties.
So, this story tells us the story of a man who's drinking has pushed away all those who used to love him, to the point where his own son would rather spend every cent of the money he was left by his father than keep that money around where it could remind him that his father ever even existed.
In six words.
... What I'm trying to say is I am a fantastic writer. And I've mastered the art of brevity. I just had to un-master it here to explain everything so you plebians could keep up. In everything I write from now on, go ahead and expect that every sentence will be so reach with meaning. You shouldn't read my books at the standard chapter per day pace, no. You'll need to sit and absorb every sentence fully on its own, giving each a full day of your attention, contemplating fully how my every word can be so pregnant with meaning until you weep with understanding.

... And that's why I pushed that one to the end of this post.

... WOW this was long. I really need to widen the margins on this site so people don't need to scroll so damn much. If you're still running 640x480 like a boss, then I'm sorry but you're going to just have to DEAL WITH IT

2 comments:

  1. B......:)
    B.....:)
    B....:)
    B...:)
    B..:)
    B.:)
    B:)
    B)
    DEAL WITH IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to link an image of that, but I wasn't sure if any of the sites I saw it on would still exist a month from now. Yeah I could upload it to the blog, but wow that's too much work for a joke.

    ReplyDelete